The J.G. Wentworth Scholarship Program: Official Rules
NO PURCHASE OR TRANSACTION NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE OR A TRANSACTION DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
SPONSOR: J.G. Wentworth (” Sponsor”)
1. ELIGIBILITY: The J.G. Wentworth Scholarship Program Contest (“Promotion”) is open only to those legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are 17 years of age or older at the time of application and who are currently enrolled (or enroll no later than the fall of 2018) in an accredited post-secondary institution of higher learning (college, university or trade school) (“College”). Current employees, officers, directors and agents of J.G. Wentworth and its related companies and members of their immediate families (defined as spouse, parents, siblings and children) and persons residing at the same address are not eligible to win. By participating in the Promotion, you release, discharge and hold harmless the Sponsor, its respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, retailers, advertising and promotion agencies and the respective officers, directors, employees and agents of each of the foregoing, from any and all damages whether direct or indirect, which may be due to or arise out of participation in the Promotion or any portion thereof, or the acceptance, use/misuse or possession of any prize. By participating, you agree to these Official Rules and to the decisions of the judges and Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Void where prohibited by law, rule or regulation. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
2. TIMING: This Promotion will run from June 28, 2018 through December 1, 2018. The winner will be selected by January 15, 2019. The winner will be announced on January 31, 2019.
3. HOW TO ENTER: To enter, beginning June 28, 2018, submit a complete application online at the Sponsor’s Website (www.jgwentworth.com/structured-settlements/scholarship) no later than December 1, 2018 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Application must include name, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, academic details, and a short original, previously unpublished written essay on the scholarship topic, ” A recent survey we conducted revealed that many Americans would experience some kind of anxiety if they received an unexpected bill of $500 or more. As a college student, how will you manage your finances to ensure you don’t experience this kind of anxiety? What advice would you give to help others prepare for the unexpected?” (750-1000 words.) (“Application”) Limit one (1) Application per person. Your essay must be written in English, with correct spelling and grammar, and it must not exceed one thousand (1,000) words. No substitutions of new drafts or corrected pages will be accepted once you have submitted your original Application. All Applications become the property of the Sponsor and will not be returned. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for lost, late, misdirected, or unintelligible Applications. By submitting an Application, you fully and unconditionally accept and agree to these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding.
4. REQUIREMENTS OF ENTRIES: Essays may not contain, as determined by the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, any content that:
- Contains any plagiarized content
- Is sexually explicit; unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, sexual orientation, professional, or age group; profane or pornographic;
- Promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing); promotes any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous; promotes any particular political agenda or message;
- Is obscene or offensive; endorses any form of hate or hate group;
- Defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- Contains copyrighted or trademarked materials owned by others, without permission; and/or
- Violates any law.
5. SELECTION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS: Sponsor is looking for eligible applicants who follow directions and submit essays that are well-written and clearly and creatively address the topic described above. All applicants will be judged 100% on their essay. No other information provided in or with the Application will be used in determining the potential winner. On or about December 31, 2018, a qualified panel of judges from the J.G. Wentworth Executive Team will select one (1) potential winner based on the criteria of focus (20%), support (20%), creativity (20%), organization (20%), style and language (10%), and grammar (10%). Sponsor will select at least one (1) of the submitted Applications as the potential Prize Winning Application. In the event of a tie, the potential winner will be the applicant with the higher score for creativity. The potential winner will be notified by e-mail, at which time he/she will be required to sign further documentation as explained below. Sponsor shall have no liability for any potential winner notification that is lost, intercepted or not received by the potential winner for any reason. Sponsor reserves the right to choose no Scholarship Prize Recipient if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Applications. Portions of the Prize Winning Application may be posted on the Sponsor’s Website, or used in other marketing materials, without further compensation or notice to the winner.
6. PRIZES: One (1) winner (“Scholarship Prize Recipient”) will be selected to receive a scholarship prize in the amount of two thousand dollars and zero cents ($2,000.00) (“Scholarship Prize”). The Scholarship Prize will be in the form of a check made payable directly to the College attended by the Scholarship Prize Recipient (once the Scholarship Prize Recipient has enrolled in a College and submitted proof of enrollment to Sponsor). Scholarship Prize Recipient must submit proof of enrollment on or before March 31, 2019. Scholarship Prize may not be assigned, transferred, or changed, except at the sole discretion of Sponsor. No cash equivalent prize will be awarded. The awarding of any Scholarship Prize is contingent upon full compliance with these Official Rules and subject to Sponsor’s verification of applicant and applicant’s submission. Applicants agree to be bound by Official Rules and agree that if any Scholarship Prize Recipient fails to provide proof of identity, refuses to provide required affidavit, refuses to complete and provide any requested tax forms (including IRS W-9 form), is found to have violated the Official Rules or otherwise does not meet eligibility criteria, Scholarship Prize will be forfeited and the applicant who submitted the Application with the next highest score will become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient. Applicants understand that Sponsor is not liable for injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising from participation in this Scholarship Program and acceptance, possession and use of Scholarship Prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Scholarship Program or in the announcement of the Scholarship Prize. Any potential tax consequences are the responsibility of the Scholarship Prize Recipient. J.G. Wentworth does not provide legal, tax, or financial advice.
8. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, by accepting a Scholarship Prize, the Scholarship Prize Recipients agree that Sponsor may, without any limitation or further compensation or notice, use his or her name, voice and/or likeness in any and all media, worldwide, for the purpose of advertising and promoting the Website, the Sponsor, the Scholarship Program, or any other promotion, contest or sweepstakes sponsored by J.G. Wentworth.
9. OWNERSHIP: By submitting an Application, you acknowledge and agree that: (a) Sponsor will own your Application, including your written response submission, and (b) as between you and Sponsor, Sponsor will own all publishing rights in and to the Application and the written response submission. Each applicant hereby irrevocably grants, transfers, sells, assigns and conveys to the Sponsor, its successors and assigns, all present and future right, title and interest of every kind and nature whatsoever, including, without limitation, all copyrights, and all rights incidental, subsidiary, ancillary or allied thereto (including, without limitation, all derivative rights) in and to the Application and the written response submission(s) for exploitation throughout the universe, in perpetuity, by means of any and all media and devices whether now known or hereafter devised (the “Rights”). Sponsor shall have the right, in its sole discretion, to edit, composite, morph, scan, duplicate, or alter, the Application and written response submission(s) for any purpose which Sponsor deems necessary or desirable, and each applicant irrevocably waives any and all so-called moral rights they may have in the Application and written response submission(s) submitted by him or her. Each applicant hereby acknowledges that such applicant does not reserve any rights in and to the Application and the written response submissions.
10. DISPUTE RESOLUTION: Except where prohibited, by participating, applicant agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participants and Sponsor and their agents shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Applicant agrees that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the prizes, shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and applicant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Scholarship Program, applicant agrees that: (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Scholarship Program, or awarding of the Scholarship Prizes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (b) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Scholarship Program but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any participant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow the limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you.
11. REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES/INDEMNIFICATION: Each person who enters this Scholarship Program represents and warrants to Sponsor as follows: (i) the Application, including the written response submission is the applicant’s own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work; (ii) the written response submission is wholly original with applicant and as of the date of submission, is not the subject of any actual or threatened litigation or claim; (iii) the written response submission neither infringes upon nor violates the intellectual property rights or other rights of any other person or entity; (iv) the written response submission does not and will not violate any applicable laws, and meets the Submission Requirements set forth above. Each applicant hereby agrees to indemnify and hold the Sponsor harmless from and against any and all third party claims, actions or proceedings of any kind and from any and all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses relating to or arising out of any breach or alleged breach of any of the warranties, representations or agreements of applicant hereunder.
12. FURTHER DOCUMENTATION: Except where prohibited, potential Scholarship Prize Recipients (or their parents or legal guardians if they are minors at the time of application) will be required to complete and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Publicity/Liability Release, and Copyright Assignment within ten (10) days of notification or the applicant with the Application with the next highest score will become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient. If notification to a potential Scholarship Prize Recipient is returned as undeliverable, the applicant with the Application with the next highest score may become an alternate potential Scholarship Prize Recipient.
13. NO OBLIGATION TO USE: Sponsor shall have no obligation (express or implied) to use any winning Application, or to otherwise exploit a winning Application or continue the development, production, distribution or exploitation thereof, and Sponsor may at any time abandon the use of the winning Application for any reason, with or without legal justification or excuse, and the Scholarship Prize Recipients shall not be entitled to any damages or other relief by reason thereof.
14. IMPORTANT. PLEASE READ – GENERAL RELEASE AND LIMITATIONS ON LIABILITY: By entering the Promotion, each applicant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor, its related companies, affiliates, and each such company’s respective employees, officers, directors and agents are not responsible for any costs, injuries, losses, or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with: (i) incomplete, lost, late, misdirected or illegible entries or for failure to receive Applications due to any cause, including without limitation human, transmission, or technical problems, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether originating with sender, or otherwise, that may limit an applicant’s ability to participate in the Scholarship Program; or (ii) any injury or damage resulting, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from participation in the Scholarship Program and/or the use of any prize, including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses and damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, or any claims, costs, injuries, losses, or damages related to or based on the applicant’s rights of publicity or privacy, or the applicant’s claim that he or she has somehow been defamed or portrayed in a false light. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for any damage to an applicant’s computer system which is occasioned by accessing the Website or participating in the Scholarship Program, or for any computer system, phone line, hardware, software or program malfunctions, or other errors, failures, delayed computer transmissions or network connections that are human or technical in nature, or for the incorrect or inaccurate capture of information, or the failure to capture any information. This Promotion is subject to all U. S. federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
15. SPONSOR’S RIGHT TO MODIFY, SUSPEND OR TERMINATE: In the event Sponsor is prevented from continuing with the Scholarship Program by any event beyond its reasonable control, then Sponsor shall have the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Scholarship Program.
16. GENERAL PROVISIONS: Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who is found to be tampering with the application process or the operation of the Scholarship Program or the Website, to be acting in violation of these Official Rules, to be submitting responses dishonestly or inaccurately, or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of any entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the entrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. If an Application is confirmed by Sponsor to have been erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, the entrant’s sole remedy shall be another Application, if time permits. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or of any other provision.
17. LIST OF SCHOLARSHIP PRIZE RECIPIENTS: The name of the Scholarship Prize Recipient of this Scholarship Program will be posted on www.jgwentworth.com.
18. SPONSOR: The Scholarship Program is sponsored by J.G. Wentworth.
1200 Morris Drive
Chesterbrook, PA 19087